Monday, February 16, 2015

February 16, 2015 from Mom

Hi my favorite missionary!!!!! EVER!!!

How was you week?  Are you getting a change this week???  I'm dying to find out! If you leave Limon, I know it will be incredibly hard to say goodbye to many people.  Bittersweet.

We had are really great week.  A few highlights…

1.  Grayson had a fantastic game on Friday.  Scored 18 pts and had tons of playing time.  However, the boy can't hit a free throw!  Bricks.  Dad is frustrated because he is trying to help Gray, but he does not want to listen to him.  So, although he had a tremendous game, he gets pulled out the last minute of the game because the coach doesn't want him to get fouled.  

2.  Erik's graduation was really great!  He was given a special award selected by all the professors in his program that acknowledges him for being the most engaged in the paramedic program, always willing to help others, works so hard, always in class and on time, etc.  It was cool.  As soon as they started explaining the award, I thought, "that sounds like Erik."  And it was:)

3.  Dad took Friday off and we spent the day together at a movie and lunch… celebrating valentines day.  It was a great day!

4. We had the Schofields over for dinner tonight (Sunday) and had our red/pink dinner with them.  They thought it was really fun. We played a game and talked with all of them and it was a fun night.

5.  Abby and Aliza went on splits this week for the second time with the sister missionaries.  So cool and Abby really likes doing it.  She's a missionary in training fo sho.

I'm sending you a picture of the canvas pictures Im going to put up on your wall.  The pics are all ones you took.  One in Jamaica (the one on top), one of a tx sunset, and one of the beach in cozumel.  I think they turned out so great!  What do you think?

I wrote down all of your questions from last week and I'm writing you a letter today with answers.  I love getting your journal and scripture journal pictures!  Are the questions for me coming from your reading, or are people giving you these questions when you teach them?

It sounds like (from your journal pictures) you had a tough week with Elder F.  How are things going?  I can only imagine that being with someone 24/7 would be incredibly difficult.  I don't even think I could do it with Dad!  I hope you are able to talk through your differences calmly and work thru them. When does Elder Turley leave?  I was thinking it is this month.  Am I right? I'm sure you will miss him.

The food pictures at Diana and Danys house look awesome!  It's like the first great meal I've seen.  We were talking about it this weekend and we want to see pictures of what Walmart is like. Will you send us some?

I have a few things I want to talk to you about that have come up from your letters and journal entries.  It's times like this that I wish so much we could just sit on the couch and talk about things, but of course we can't so I'm hoping the tone of my concerns come across as loving as I feel about them.
1. You asked Erik if he had any bad experiences with the spirit.  I'm wondering if you have had a bad experience or if something happened.  Is everything ok?
2. You said that you spent most of the day talking with Taylor on the phone one day (I think it was after Christmas some time). Then sister Konold told me in your letter to Fin you said you broke up with her because she wasn't interested in the gospel but you asked me to give her a jersey and I know she writes you a lot.  So I'm not sure where things are with you guys.But I have concerns.  I have had a really heavy feeling in my heart about your relationship with her for the past month. I feel like the spirit is warning me or wants me to warn you or something.. I'm not sure what.  So I just decided that I'll voice my concerns to you and I'll just hope you understand and it makes sense to you. I guess my biggest concern is that she is not LDS and I don't think has any plans to be so I wonder what could come of this when you get home?  Even if you two write for two years, you will come home and leave for college in 2 weeks. And she will be 25 (or something) and you have 4 years of college ahead of you.  I worry you are wrapping your emotions into something that isn't going to work out, and probably isn't good for you even if it did work out. As you date when you get home, you will be choosing not only your wife, but also your children's mother (they don't get to do that) so it is so important you think about all the things that are important to you in a wife and mother. Secondly, I worry that the more likely option is she will break it off and date someone else and that will break your heart and set you back on your mission.  Third, I worry that she isn't really supportive of you on the goals you are trying to achieve on your mission (not because she isn't a good person but because she doesn't really understand what you are doing).  For example, does she ask you about your baptisms or what you're learning or how you're growing?  Does she discuss spiritual things with you?  If none of these are true, is she actually helping you with your mission or is she a distraction?   I can completely imagine that it is fun to have a girl write you and remind you that you are a guy.  It's flattering.  But I just want you to think about the long term consequences of this.  Guard your heart.  This is a time when you're not supposed to be dating.  I think dating thru letters counts.  And if you break rules for this girl, that is a problem too.  Now it gets in the way of your obedience, your ability to have the spirit with you, the people you teach, and your protection.

I love you so much baby!  Please take this letter as it is intended.  I'm just looking out for your best interests and want to give you some things to think about.  I feel the spirit giving me this feeling of uneasiness and warning but I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with it.  Please don't be mad at me.  I've been praying today that I can say my concerns without it sounding like I'm telling you how to live your life.  I just think your feelings are very raw and maybe intensified being on your mission and away from your home. You probably feel more strongly for her than you would if you were home. I don't want anything to distract you from having the most amazing experiences on your mission and coming home with no regrets as you look back on your service and feeling so close to the Lord.  I want all people that are important in your life, supporting your efforts on your mission and helping you to find those wonderful people that need you to bring the gospel to them.  

I guess that's all for now.  I'm writing you another letter to send off later today.  I have a couple of good talks for your too.  Bro. Hutto gave the greatest talk on the atonement today so I'm gonna try to share my thoughts about it in the letter.  BTW, are you getting any of my DearElder letters?  Ama says she sends you her letters that way too.  I just hope you've been getting them.  How about your package?  Did you get that yet?  I hope you got it in time for Valentines day so you could remember how much we all love you!  

Have a great week!  I'm so incredibly proud of you, my son!  I love you fiercely and you know I would do anything for you. If you are now a senior comp, remember to be the missionary the Lord wants and needs you to be.  No one else will make you do it.  It is up to you and you have your agency.  I'm so excited to see what you can do in your next area.  

Infinity + infinity and even more than that!

love,
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment