Sunday, October 30, 2016

October 30, 2016 - From Mom

First of all... let me just say I had a pretty great costume for Trunk or Treat this year.  Do you get it?:)  You may not know but Hillary is famous for her "pant suits" so I gave her a prison issued pant suit. LOL.  And speaking of all this, I did vote this week.  Early voting.  It was very tough to do and I think I threw up in my mouth a little.  But I'm just being prayerful that Heavenly Father watches over our country.  By the way, I sat with Jason Steed (our ward Democrat) for dinner at the trunk or treat so we had a good laugh about my costume.  At least he was a good sport.


Inline image 1

This week has been a little bit tough but I would say it ended well.  Abby is still struggling with depression.  We changed her medication and are looking for a new counselor.  I think the change of medication seems to be working a little.  She has been having a hard time focusing on her school work and anything really.  She spends so much energy trying to stay positive that it is really draining for her to do much else.  She has good days but the bad days are pretty hard.  But I think by Sunday night, I started noticing some improvement.  We will see.  It is something I never expected and is so difficult to watch her struggle.  You think when someone suffers from depression, you can get them help and all will be better.  But it really doesn't work like that.  Sometimes I guess you need to keep trying things and see what works.  It's a lot of trial and error.  She hides it pretty well so most people don't know anything about it.  But with me she lets her guard down sometimes and it makes me so sad to know how she feels.  Please don't worry... we are doing all we can to take care of her.  Just please keep her in your prayers.  And don't let her know I've told you this.  She is embarrassed by it and DOES NOT want to talk about it.  


We are still having hot weather! UGH!  Tomorrow is November and it is actually supposed to be finally cooling down.  I can't wait for some fall weather.  My very favorite time of year!  It looks like you are coming out of your rainy season.  When I look at my weather app for Guatemala City, usually every day shows rain! But now I'm seeing some cloudy days and actually some sunny days!  Yay!  Is it getting better?

Tomorrow you have been gone 3 months!  How are you feeling?  I remember it was about at the 4 month mark the last time you were out that you seemed to be dealing with homesickness better.  Are you getting there?  I pray everyday that you will feel our love but that it won't make you homesick.  I just want you to feel the love of our family and our savior and that it gives you comfort and support.  I hope you are having success but that you don't get discouraged when you feel like the work is going slower than you hoped.  Keep working.  Keep the faith.  Keep being obedient.  The blessings have come, and more will come.

I was studying Alma 58 this week and I thought of a theme for it that I wanted to pass on to you.  The message is:  "Be brave and trust a while longer and the benefits will be worth it."  Sometimes things we desire, even righteous desires, take much longer than we want.  In this chapter, Helaman and his army is greatly out numbered and he is trying to hide out and wait for back up and provisions before he goes into battle.  All the while they are watching the Lamanites get more provisions, get stronger, and plan their strategy to defeat Helaman.  After months of waiting and almost dying of hunger, provisions did arrive with 2000 more men (which was a drop in the bucket because they were so outnumbered).  Here is what he says starting in verse 9:

And now the cause of these our embarrassments, or the causwhy they did not send more strength unto us, we knew not; therefore we were grieved and also filled with fear, lest by any means the judgments of Goshould come upon our land, tour overthrow and utter destruction.
 10 Therefore we did pour out our souls in prayer to God, that he would strengthen us and deliver us out of the hands of our enemies, yea, and also give us strength that we might retain our cities, and our lands, and our possessions, for thsupport of our people.
 11 Yea, and it came to pass that the Lord our God did visit us with assurances that he would deliver us; yea, insomuch that he did speak peace to our souls, and did grant unto us great faith, and did cause us that we should hope for our deliverance in him.

They were "grieved and filled with fear" but when they poured out their souls in prayer they received: 1. assurances that they would be delivered, 2. peace to their souls 3. great faith and 4. hope.  They did not defeat their enemy immediately as they would want to.  But while they waited on that promise, they were blessed greatly.  President Eyring said this, "Delayed blessings will build your faith in God to work, and wait, for him. The scriptures aren’t demeaning when they command, “Wait upon the Lord.” That means both service and patience. And that will build your faith. It may help you to watch both for the chance to smile and the blessings around you on the way.”

I hope that message gives you encouragement the way it did for me.  I'm so proud of you, my hero!  You know that I am amazed at your character, hard work, faith and obedience.  You are such an example to our family.  I'm so grateful for all you are doing and so happy for how it will shape you into the man our Heavenly Father designed you, His son, to be.  

Let me also say, last week I gave you some things to think about as you consider when to return home.  I want to reiterate that these are only things to consider but I still hope you will take the matter to the Lord and receive your own answer.  Don't assume you know what he wants you to do.  Come up with your own answer and then pray to ask if it is right.  And again, I don't think  you need to stress about it now.  You have plenty of time to think about it.

I love you so much Sam!  You are so missed here at home but we feel your faith here.  It makes us all stronger and better.  I hope you are having a wonderful week!  Tell me everything!  Do they celebrate any kind of halloween there?  

Please be safe.  Follow the promptings of the spirit and know how much I love you!  I'm always with you my son!  

Infinity + infinity

mom

No comments:

Post a Comment