Monday, October 6, 2014

October 6, 2014 from Mom

Hello my sweet boy!  
I hope you loved conference this weekend!  I especially loved knowing that we were watching and doing the exact same thing together several times this weekend.  Kindof like the concept that we are under the same moon… we are watching the same thing:)  Just made me feel closer to you!  Some of my favorite things about conference:

- When they announced there are over 88,000 missionaries and I thought, "one of those belongs to me!"
- When the MTC choir sang at the priesthood session.  Cried my eyes out through "Army of Helaman"  Their voices were so beautiful!  Made me miss you just a little more.  
- One of the sessions during the closing prayer they said, "bless our missionaries, and their parents and their grandparents."  Missionaries and return missionaries have a special place with the Lord!
- Just some of my favorite talks out of MANY… Pres. Uchtdorf at the priesthood session where he talked about "Lord, Is it I?"  And of course Elder Holland talking about caring for the poor and needy. 

What an amazing 2 days!  I loved so many of the talks!  Were you able to watch in English?  Was it a nice break from the routine of the MTC?  

A few interesting things happened here at home this week.  We got your letters!  It was so great for each of us to have a letter from you! We couldn't wait to read them.  Grayson was going to go straight to work but he came home so he could read your letter first.  Cade Neilsen got his mission call to Bankok Thailand.  Grayson got invited to the National Honor Society so he got his application filled out this weekend.  We should know next week if he is accepted.  The application required 4 brief essays, 2 letters of recommendation (Bro. Dyer and Bro Stanton) and a list of your service and leadership activities.  Then Dad got nominated for a leadership academy through work.  He also had a lengthy application with essays and letters of recommendation.  Only 20 will be accepted into the program so keep him in your prayers.  It would be a great opportunity for him to move up in his company. (I remember when you were set apart Pres. Platt said that dad would be blessed in his career as you serve… we are seeing some of those blessings)  So needless to say, MY weekend was spent writing and proofing lots of essays:)  

Okay, brace yourself… here is the really bad news.  Taysom fractured his leg this week in the Utah State game.  BYU lost and Taysom had surgery this weekend and is out for the season most likely.  Such a blow to the season!  I feel so bad for him because he was on track for great things.  He still has next year but I'm not sure what will happen the BYU football this year.  I'm sure we will drop out of the top 25 with that loss.  

You just never know what trials will be handed to you.  I'm sure it is so disappointing for Taysom!  But I know Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us and as you know, all things work together for your good if you love God. (Romans 8:28).  You've had some tough challenges in your life.  But I often think that if you never got hurt your sophomore  year, you might never have discovered music like you have.  Or you might have gotten so caught up on playing baseball after high school that you wouldn't have served a mission.  I don't know.  I only know that the Lord knows and I have learned to trust Him because He knows best.

I hope you got our birthday letters!!!!  It was fun collecting them and putting them all together for you.  So many people love you and miss you!  But mostly, I think people are amazed to see the person you are becoming.  I'm so incredibly proud of you!  Do you have any idea???!!!  I am amazed you are my son and I'm so grateful how you are embracing this opportunity you have to serve your Heavenly Father and his children.  

You are down to one week left in the MTC!  I can't believe it!  I guess I won't be able to get a letter from you next week, right?  You're killin me Smalls!  Will you please take lots of pictures?  And then upload them as soon as you have some wifi access. Make sure you have email addresses for your district and others that you're close to.  You could even send them a group email each week or I can forward you letter to them each week if you want me to.   I'm sure you're anxious to get into the field.  I'm sure you will have a Latino companion first.  If it ever gets difficult between you and your companion, just pray hard to love him and see him as the Lord sees him, and then focus on the people you're meeting and teaching.  I know why you made your "fake investigators" cry… because you are so full of the spirit and you have such a good heart.  You will be an amazing missionary my son!  Be exactly obedient so the spirit will be so strong with you!  It will carry your words right into the hearts of those you teach.  I can't WAIT to hear about your adventures.  BTW - what items did they give you in the MTC that you take with you?


Also, please listen to your mother…. please be exactly obedient so you will be protected. I cannot emphasize this enough!  Don't go where you are not supposed to go… don't stay out late… listen to those little whisperings that tell you if you are in a dangerous situation. Be smart! Please!  I will not be much use the rest of my life if I lose you!  Obedience will give you protection!  We pray every day for your protection.  

I'm getting a small box out to you this week.  Hopefully you will have it at the mission home when you get there.  It depends on how expensive it is to mail.  I'm trying to mail it express tomorrow. It has your glasses in it and a few treats.  YOu mentioned mailing some things home that are expensive??? I'm not sure what you mean.  Like souvenirs?  You certainly don't have to send anything express.  Ask the missionaries in the mission home what they do to mail things home.  I'm not sure of the process there.  Don't buy a bunch of things right away.  You have many months to decide what momentos you want to keep or give to others.  Budget your money.  Try to live within the budget you receive from the mission funds.  However, we will have an emergency fund on your debit card.  I'll try to have $100 balance in there most of the time.  However, if you spend out of there, let me know.  If you use ATMs you get charged $5 each time you take out money.  However, if you make a purchase with your debit card, you can usually get some cash back.  There isn't a charge for that so try to use that option whenever you can.  Don't ever carry a lot of cash with you.  And if you have it at your home, keep it locked in one of your suitcases.  I would not even let your companion know about extra cash.  Don't forget about that kangaroo pouch that you wear around your belt and can hide things in.

You are in a foreign country.  Things work a little different there.  Please be smart and cautious.  

I love you so much Sam!  I can't ever get through writing a letter without tears.  Just knowing how much I love you brings me to tears.  It will be hard not to hear from you for two weeks!  But it will make the next letter you write in the field just that much sweeter!  I'm so incredibly proud of you!  You are becoming the man the Lord designed you to be.  Stay close to Him, keep working hard and know that your family is right behind you.  Our arms are wrapped around you!  We love you sooooo much!  We get so excited each week to read your letters because "hearing" your voice thru your letters fills the spot that is missing in our home.  Be good, be safe, and above all know that your are loved!

infinity + infinity
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment