Sunday, January 11, 2015

January 11, 2015 from Mom

Hello Baby Boy!!!  This week has felt sooooo long to me!  I've been so anxious to hear about your new comp.  Diana FB me and in her very broken english, I think I understood that he is strict to the rules and she is no longer cooking for you.  I'm sure this is a big change to your routine, but I hope (and have been praying) that he is a great comp and this is a good change for you.  This is your first opportunity to experience change with a comp.  I bet its weird at first.  But there will be new things to learn from each companionship.  So again, I'm praying that you are open to what you can learn and what you can give!  

No pics from you this week.  I missed it.  Send more pics! xoxox  

I sent you pictures... our Sunday Selfie and my new hot glasses!  

We had a good week at home.  Grandpa Tom ended up having surgery and replacing part of his aorta.  We are really blessed that it worked out so well.  His mother died from this same thing.  If the aneurism had ruptured, he would have died instantly. We told them that we put his name in the temple where they pray for him each hour for 2 weeks.  She said that she was so grateful for the "mormon prayers" (haha) and how they must be very powerful.  I think she was really sincere about it.  I had Grayson and Abby call him the night before his surgery and he got really emotional.  He has a different way of showing it, but he loves you guys very much!  He came home from the hospital today and is doing really well.  Keep him in your prayers.  

Ama had another performance in LA.  Everyone thought is was the best show yet.  

Gray had a disappointing basketball game on Friday.  He has been playing so much but on Friday he got about 3 mins total of playing time.  Not sure why.  He's been playing well but I know he is disappointed. Of course it was when some of our family came to support him.  I think he is finally committed to trying to put on weight.  I know that would really help him.  

Erik graduates from paramedic school in 2 weeks.  So happy for him!  He LOVEs his job at Legacy ER.  I think he is taking a semester off but will then get back on track to get his nursing degree.  He is exhausted but he seems so happy doing this.  

Kevin is still going strong with his girlfriend. I like her.  I think there is an edge to her but I think that is actually good for Kevin.  I think she keeps him in check.  I mean, its only been 2-3 months... but so far so good.  We will see.

And as for me, I missed you this week my son.  Some weeks are tougher than others.  This was tough.  I think it is mainly because I've been anxious to hear how you're doing with your new companion.  I've been excited to hear about your baptisms coming up too.  It is looking more like Fin will not be coming back out to Guatemala.  He just won't break up with his gf... can't get his priorities straight. His parents are so thankful that you wrote him.  They shared some of it with me.  I told them not to give up yet.  I believe he has a testimony.  If he could trust the Lord, I know he would be blessed for it and it wouldn't be as heartbreaking as he imagines.  She is just a big distraction from him being able to fully commit to his mission and I think the Stake Pres was right in his counsel to Fin.   It makes me even more grateful for your devotion and service to the Lord.  How are you feeling?  I know the MTC is such a spiritual place (as much as you hated it).  Do you feel the spirit as strongly as you are out serving in the field?

Here is my spiritual thought of the week.... it made me think of you.  Its a poem that says, 

Stick to your task till it sticks to you
Beginners are many, but enders are few. 
Honor, power, place, and praise
Will always come to the one who stays.

Stick to your task till it sticks to you;
Bend at it, sweat at it, smile at it too;
For out of the bend and the sweat and the smile Will come life’s victories, after awhile. 

We also had one the best sacrament meetings today.  Bro. Richey spoke and it was great.  The topic of the whole meeting was enduring to the end.  He spoke about the aspect of enduring to the end even when we have questions, disappointment, doubts, etc.  I thought you could use it with some of your members who have fallen off the path.  He said this, 

"As a father, I have have enjoyed watching my girls ride their bikes for the first time unassisted. In part, my joy came because I was exhausted from running behind them, pushing and balancing them and protecting them from unnecessary harm, but also my joy came from seeing their enormous smiles as they realized that they had accomplished a task that seemed unsurmountable at times during previous attempts. On one occasion, while I firmlyheld the bike from behind, and was pushing one of my daughters into a gentle turn, she felt the bike tilt slightly. Frightened by any instability, she leaped off the bike, and crashed into the hard pavement. She thought that route was safer than staying on the seat and trusting her guide.  Her limited experience thus far in life hadn’t provided the knowledge that staying on the bike was safer than abandoning it for the hard and unforgiving asphalt.  We as children of our Heavenly Father may foolishly want to “jump off the bike” before we arrive at destinations He would want us to reach.  The Lord teaches us over and over to endure to the end."

It is a great analogy to stay the course and trust and search for answers from sources of truth.  Don't jump off the bike at the slightest feeling of unsteadiness.  Maybe you will come across someone who jumped off the bike and you can share this analogy.  If people would learn to plant deep roots thru obedience, faith, study, prayer and those little bumps wouldn't feel so threatening to their testimonies.  I hope this might help someday.

How is your eating?  Is the microwave and hotplate being put to work yet?  You still have $117 on your debit card.  If you need more, I'll keep an eye on your account and add more if you need it.  Get something yummy today that you can cook this week (and a pan to cook with if you need it:)  I love you fiercely, Sam.  You run through my thoughts throughout the day.  You are never far from me.  I'm your very proud mom and I'm in awe of all you are doing right now.  Please stay on your toes... be obedient so you can always feel worthy to ask the Lord for his greatest blessings.  I know you may not have as much time to reply.  Try to stay focused on writing your family and your overall weekly letter.  We all love getting your letters so much and it is how we will all become even closer throughout your mission.  These are the lasting relationships that will go with you throughout your life and eternity.  So happy you are my son forever.

I love you so incredibly much!

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment