Sunday, September 11, 2016

September 11, 2016 - From Mom

Hi my sweet boy!  Oh how I've missed you this week!  I got teary in church just sitting on our empty pew and thought we're going to have to move where we sit.  I love sitting next to you and hearing you sing the hymns in your gorgeous voice.  I watched some of your youtube videos this week just so I could hear your voice. I miss our family being all together... but I am willing to let you go serve because I know how much you are helping our Heavenly Father bring the gospel to his children who he loves so much.  I know you are helping families be sealed together like ours.  And I know you are making such important changes in your own life and are growing so much.  So because of that, I will miss you but I will also be so happy about what amazing things you're doing.

Speaking of that, I read a great talk this week by Lynn Robbins called "Avoid It."  I'm going to send it to you.  It goes along with the story about the cigarettes that you shared last week.  The main idea is that it is much easier to avoidtemptation than to resist it.  He uses the analogy of cookies.  That keeping them out of the house is a much better idea than walking into his house when his wife is baking cookies and he can smell them and his mouth starts watering.  Now he is not only trying to use willpower but he's working against chemistry in his mind and body.  And then after eating one, he thought that would be enough, but it only made him want to eat many more.  I'm not doing the talk justice, so I'll just send the whole talk to you:)  It's a good one.  I was studying the talk in preparation for my seminary lesson about when Satan came to tempt Christ after he had fasted 40 days.  Christ had just been baptized, and then in preparation to begin his earthly ministry, he fasted 40 days and then went to the mountain to commune with God.  That is when Satan came to tempt Him.  The timing is interesting because so often when we are preparing to do something great, or trying to make big changes in our life, that is when Satan comes.  I think you felt that way both times right before you left for your mission.  Satan really worked hard on you because you were going to do something so powerful and meaningful for others and for your own life.  Remember that... often that's how he works.  So when you feel that temptation or frustration, hang on and be faithful because often it means something great is coming. One of my favorite things we learn in the temple is that "he has the power to bruise our heal, but we have the power to crush his head!" 

We had a good week.  I got Abby to a doctor and she is taking some medication.  I'm working on getting her into a counselor as well.  I hope it will be helpful.  I think she feels some relief just knowing that we are working on it. 

Were busy getting ready for Kevin and Misti's wedding on Oct.1st.  I think they are both so excited.  I'm so happy that Kevin has found someone.  I know he was really lonely for a long time and it's nice to see him so happy.  Erik is working on a hilarious dance that the groomsmen and Kevin are going to do to surprise Misti.  I'll make sure I send a video to you!

Speaking of video, I got the message from your mission leader.  I'm not sure how you were able to open the other ones but couldn't open the ones from last week.  I'm not sending a video today because I need to figure out how to get it to an mp3 file.  I'll figure it out and send one next week.

Yesterday was the 15 year anniversary of 9/11.  I spent some time watching the shows that are always on and relived that day in my mind.  It was amazing that after such a horrible tragedy, our country came together in a way I have never seen before or since then.  It was a time of caring for your neighbor, volunteering and patriotism.  Its sad that we have lost that because it was a great moment in our history.  Now onto the election... yikes!  What a freaking hot mess!  Everything is pretty much the same.  Everyone feels depressed that these are the two people we have to choose from.  The polls are dead even.  It should be a very close election unless something big happens between now and November.

I talked to Fin Konold's mom the other day.  He has broken up with his girlfriend, moved back home and is going to church and institute.  I hope he is on the right track now.  She said he has some big regrets about leaving the mission and not returning.  It makes me sad for him but I'm so happy to know he is doing so much better.

We watched about 15 mins of Miss America last night so we could see how Lauren did.  She didn't make it into the first elimination so we turned it off... but I did get a picture for you.  She did her little 10 second "miss Utah" introduction and that where the picture is from.  She was in a giant wind storm so you could barely hear her.. lol.  But here is the picture just incase you want to see:)  We also watched the BYU game this week.  They lost by 1 point to Utah.  Ugh!  If Dad or Gray don't tell you about it, let me know and I will.

Our other picture that I attached is of us three + jeter chillin in the backyard last night.  The weather has been really good... not too hot.  How are you holding up in the rain?  Is the rainy season almost over?  Do you get soaked everyday?  How is your money holding up each month?  I notice you are not taking much from your personal account.  Are you eating well? Do you think you are losing weight like last time?

Tell me everything about your week!  The good, bad and the wonderful!  I love your letters, Sam!  Someone each week is telling me how they love your letters and that they've seen such growth from your letters before compared to your letters now.  I love hearing about all the things you're doing and are learning.  Please stay safe.  Stay close to the spirit. Stay focused on loving and serving those people (ps. I want to take Whiner home with me he is so cute!!).  And know that I love you with my entire heart and soul!  I love everything about you, my son.  You make me so happy and I'm so proud you're my son.  

I hope you have an amazing week.  You are in our prayers always.

Infinity + Infinity 

No comments:

Post a Comment