We have all been sick around here this week. Grayson has already had strep throat 2 times in the last month and now he's coughing and sick again! He also rolled his ankle at his last game so its all swollen and hard to walk on. Dad got it too so he's home from work today. Ama is finally getting better from her medication withdrawal. I can't believe how long she has been sick! She is headed to the doctor this week so hopefully we will get some answers. And Pop Pop was down with the flu!
Well that's all the bad stuff. Now the good news. Erik got the job with the ER! He has definitely decided to move forward with nursing so this will be great experience and help make his resume strong. Kevin has a new girlfriend! And the most interesting part… She is 33! She seems nice. I've only met her once but she was perfectly comfortable with our family and really nice. Of course she is very pretty. I've worried about him feeling so lonely so I'm happy for him. I know they decorated a tree together and even just that makes me happy for him. We will see where this goes… I've been busy working on a new website for my business. I'm trying to work a little more consistently. We need to be more aggressive saving for our future. Being unemployed 3 times in 10 years takes a huge toll on your savings:) I had a guy design a logo for me and it turned out great.
So Trevor has been home about 3 weeks, right? I guess he and Julia Richardson have been joined at the hip since they both got home about 2 days apart from each other. Trevor went to be released as a missionary from President Platt and he had just had the same interview with Julia an hour earlier (she came home from her mission in chile after 9 months… not sure why but it wasn't anything she had done wrong) and President Platt says to Trevor, "Im not sure why I'm feeling this, but I just feel inspired to tell you to contact Julia." THey have been together ever since that day! I was going to set him up with Sydney but I think that isn't gonna happen at this point. haha!
I have another box I'm going to send out today or tomorrow. Just a few things you asked for. Any last minute requests? Hopefully you'll get it in time for Christmas. There isn't anything wrapped in there but it would be fun to have a few extra things. We are all on Christmas count down… not for the gifts but for the chance to Skype with you! We are sooooo excited! As you get more info about your schedule on Christmas, will you let me know? I want to try to get through breakfast and stockings here before we Skype so everyone else can open gifts and we won't hold them up. You said you're doing a service project. Do you know what you're doing? Also, Konold told his mom that a couple of zones or districts are getting together. Are you part of that?
How are your clothes holding up? Shoes? Do your feet hurt when you walk so much or are the shoes helping?
How is the language? I can't believe how well you're doing after just 3 months!
I talked to Stanton for a while this weekend at the basketball tournament. He ALWAYS reads your letters. In fact one week he didn't get it for some reason and he emailed me and asked for it:) Here is his email if you want to shoot him a quick email sometime. shaunmstanton@yahoo.com . I think when you get home he thinks you guys will be great friends. He is excited to see all the ways you have grown and changed. We also had a long talk about Gray's friends. Stanton is worried about Parker and Nate but especially Will Scholl. He thinks they are getting into trouble. Gray doesn't really like Will very much but Parker does so he is spending more time with them and I think its not so great. Stanton said that he has never heard one bad thing about Gray. But those guys are struggling a little bit I think and its just another reason why Gray misses you so much. He's such a good kid. And you influence him so much even though you aren't here physically. I think Gray is the only one in that group determined to serve a mission at this point. I hope that will change.
I've started reading Jesus the Christ. I just finished chapter 2. YOu are right… it is dense but so filled with interesting info. Here is one thing that stood out to me in the beginning of Chapter 1. Its talking about the war in heaven and who took which side. He says, "The majority either fought with Michael or at least refrained from active opposition, thus accomplishing the purpose of their "first estate." I never thought about that. That some people were more valiant in defending God's plan while others "just wanted a body" and sat on the sidelines to see what would happen. I guess that helps me to understand why some people act so disinterested in defending good today. They are the same spirits possibly that stood on the sidelines in heaven but were given the incredible blessing of coming to earth. Your patriarchal blessing says "We know by gospel teaching that we lived with Him in the pre-existence; there you were taught at His knee, both by Heavenly Father and by our elder brother Jesus Christ. You were valiant in lifting your voice in defense of His plan of happiness for His children. Many of the blessings that have come to you in this life have been the result of the valiance and obedience you exhibited in that pre-mortal realm." That sounds so much like you! I feel such a strong conviction of the spirit as I write this to you. I know you were an extremely valiant son of God in our pre mortal life. And because of your obedience and faithfulness, you have been blessed. What a tremendous knowledge to know how much they love you! This is from my patriarchal blessing from 1979:) … "You are special and choice to Him...You were a noble spirit in the pre-existence. You were valiant and you desired to come to the earth and be faithful and you wanted to do your part so your spirit was withheld to come in this day and time, which is the most wonderful time to live upon the earth and many had sought to do so, but it was your privilege to come now." We come from a long line of valiant people. And because we have been given so much, much is expected. You are living up to that, my son! This mission will be hard and gut wrenching but so wonderful and amazing at the same time. I have seen so much growth from you! Keep yourself in check! Keep looking for ways to fine tune your obedience so you don't get slack with the rules. See what miracles will come from your obedience. Stay focused on those who need you there right now. You are selflessly giving yourself to them during this time. Don't hold anything back. When you come home don't have any regrets. Leave it all on the field. Whenever you feel discouraged, try to imagine what you will feel like when you come home and feel such a sense of accomplishment that your served valiantly for 2 years and what joy you will have! "His Lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant; thou has been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." Matt 25: 21
I love you so much Sam! Keep working hard and stay focused on the work. I'm sure there are times that you feel like you are missing out on things at home. But I promise, nothing going on here is worth distracting you from the people that need you there. You will be home soon enough and everything here will still be here. I'm so incredibly proud of you! I know if you stay focused there, you will have many opportunities to teach people that need you specifically, maybe even some will be companions or other missionaries, you will have opportunities to lead and influence others. I can only imagine how difficult it is at times. It just makes me all the more proud of what you are doing! I love you infinity + infinity and miss you like crazy!!!! Keep up all your tremendous work! xoxoxo
Mom
ps. You will hit your 100 day mark in 2 days:)
pss. Only 17 days til SKYPE!!!!
pss. How are you doing with your Matthew challenge?
No comments:
Post a Comment