Sunday, November 13, 2016

November 13, 2016 - From Mom

Good morning my boy!  I'm so happy its Monday and I get to talk with you!  My favorite day of the week! Another week down.  It finally feels like time is speeding up a little for me.  How about you?

How was your week?  How are you feeling?  Still healthy? 

What happened with changes?

Did you have baptisms on Saturday or is that this week?

You told me you have changed a lot on your mission.  I want you to tell me how you think you've grown and changed!  I can tell some things from you letters, but I really want to hear what you perceive.  I would love to have your testimony in a letter for our family too.  Maybe you could work on that this week and take pictures of your letter or something.  The mail is a huge bummer! I wish I could send you letters. 

Speaking of that, a woman is coming to Guatemala with her son who was a missionary about a year ago (do you remember Elder Gardner?).  She is bringing two bottles of contact solution for you.  I'll mail some more too.  She is leaving on Dec. 17 so you'll have some soon.  However, if you run out before I get some to you, you may have to use just multi purpose contact solution.  It will work fine until I get you the good stuff:)  Do you still have your spare pair?  Or do I need to order another pair for you?

So now... do you really want to know what is going on in our country since Trump was elected???  Its a little crazy.  Id say its finally calming down a bit, but there has been rioting and protesting in the streets of many large cities.  Slogans like "Love trumps hate" and "not my president" on posters held up by millennials all over the country.  The universities (major reputable ones) are holding "cry ins" and having "safe rooms' where their students can come and "share their pain." (insert rolling of eyes) They have set up "coloring stations" and "play dough" centers on campus so students can come and "work through their pain."  I KID YOU NOT!  Tests have been optional on some campuses this week because the students were in too much distress.  It is insanity!  Like I said, it is calming down now but its better that you don't have to see this nonsense.  It would drive you nuts.  The rest of the country, including the media seem to be more accepting of the results and waiting to see how Trump will operate as a president rather than a candidate.  Hillary and Obama both have behaved very well and been actually supportive of Trump (at least publicly).  I'm actually hopeful.  I think he seems very serious about solving the problems of our country.  I'm willing to give him the chance to rise to the occasion and hopefully do great things.  I just kept thinking about my three children, while I watching these college students acting like toddlers who didn't get what they wanted for the first time in their life, and am so proud of the character of my kids!  I know you have overcome a lot in your life already and you would never crumble like these kids.  These parents should be embarrassed to watch their kids act like this.  But instead, they show the weakness of their character too as they say these kids are just a more sensitive generation.  UGH!  I really hope that the policies that Trump institutes will work for the minorities and blue collar families as well as our family so that people will finally understand that conservative policies raise everyone up!  In spite of all the craziness, I'm still hopeful.

I taught a lesson today about Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead (John 11).  A few things I just wanted to share with you.  The interesting thing is that Jesus purposefully waits 4 days after Lazarus is dead before he travels to the location of Lazarus and his family.  He is close friends with them and so the Savior weeps when he sees how distraught Lazarus' sisters are.  He could have healed Lazarus from 25 miles away when he first received word that he was sick, but He waited until he died and was dead for 4 days before He raised him.  Why?  The message I got from it is that our faith is more important than our pain.  He knew that Lazarus and his family would go through such tremendous pain but that in the end, they would be much better and their faith would be much stronger.  It's kindof like when I would take you to the doctor when you were a baby and then a toddler and you had to get immunization shots.  I would cry as I held you while the doctor caused pain for you.  I knew you trusted me completely and so it hurt even more that you might feel like I had somehow allowed for you to have pain.  But in the end, I knew I was doing something that was very good for you and would give you a better life.  Sometimes, the trials we go through are like that.  We need to trust HIm to know that he is with us through the pain, comforting us and watching over us.  And in the end, we will be better and more faithful.

I really am loving the New Testament this year.  I feel like seminary is sacred ground because we are studying the Savior's life and his teachings.  Pretty amazing!

We had a good week.  Dad and I are going to Top Golf tonight for a work team building thing.  I'm sure it will be fun! Peter was in town this weekend so we went to the Walton's last night for dinner.  He is busy networking and looking for a job.  Not easy work!  But he has a good resume and experience so I'm sure by the first of the year, he will find something. Katie is having a baby boy and is due in March so she is really showing now!  Cute baby bump.  I think they will name him Henry.  Parker should be getting his mission call this week or next. Pretty exciting!  We are hoping Gray can submit his papers early January so he can leave as soon as school is out.  Abby's new medication is helping.  She is doing better slowly but surely.  We feel the blessings of your missionary service in our home!  I know the Lord is blessing us because of all you are giving. 

I love you eternally my sweet boy!  I'm so grateful to my Heavenly Father that you are my son forever!  I know He must love me so much because He gave me you for a son.  I hope this week is a great one!  I hope you always feel your family's love for you and know that we pray for you many times each day and think of you constantly.  I  hope you feel your Savior's love for you.  I am increasing my understanding of His love for me and you.  Read John chapter 10 to see how the Good Shepherd cares for his sheep and would lay down his life for them.  He loves you Sam.  You are precious to Him and He is with you as you sacrifice so much for Him.  You are such an amazing example to me.  I love you so very much, my son. 

xoxo

mom

No comments:

Post a Comment