Monday, November 21, 2016

November 21, 2016 - From Sam

Hey mom! Ok so ill just start with everything new. My area is called Colombia like the country. Im Zone Leader 2 of the Alameda Stake and La Laguna stake as well. Its the biggest zone in the mission with 9 areas in total and 18 missionaries and 2 different stakes. I was expecting to be a ZL when i had changes because I felt that would be the only reason I wouldnt stay to finish Elder Alvarez¨s training.

My new companion is Elder Estevez (Eh-Steh-Vez). He is from the Dominican Republic and is a Yankees fan. I told him all about grandpa and he loved it and is so jealous with all my Yankee history. I showed him the picture of grandpa with Mickey Mantle and he said he has that picture in his room at home. Hes not my favorite comp Ive had but hes not bad either. He was somewhat controlling at first but hes chilled out now that he realizes i know what im doing. Hes very insistent, pushy and direct with investigators which is something im not used to and dont necessarily like. Just like he just hounds investigators or members if they do something wrong or dont go to church so that makes us not have the greatest relations with people. But he is a good person and has a good attitude when hes not chewing someone out. He knows doctrine like no other companion Ive had thats for sure.

Being a ZL isnt a big deal theres just a few things different. Just more talking directly with President Crapo and the Assistants. More trust and deligating responsibilities to others. Its not very different to me its really the position i just have wanted to be in to be able to help the mission.

Before getting here last week the zone was number 7 out of 10 zones in the mission. I think 2 of the 9 areas completed the mission goal. Theyve always been consistently 6 7 or 8. My second day I got here we had a zone meeting and I just talked about the mission goal for like 20 minutes and how important it is. We wont know what number we are in the mission until next week, but 6 of the 9 areas completed the mission goal and 2 of the 3 that didnt were both only one investigator in church away from completing the whole thing. That should easily put us in the top 3 spots in the mission if not number one. We did divisions with an area that was struggling yesterday to help them complete the mission goal. I went with Elder Gordon whos actually from Midloathian (Waxahachie ish). They didnt have any baptismal dates and in 2 hours we were able to put 3 and find 4 new investigators!

Thats really the reason why Ive wanted to be in a leadership position because I know I can help others get to their potential in their areas. I was able to give an example to Elder Gordon on how to better invite people to baptism and how to find new investigators and hell be able to do that now with his companion and his district. As a DL or senior companion you do that but on a smaller level.

I know I improved many different things when i had good zone leaders that taught me how to improve certain things that ultimately made me a better missionary so thats what I want to do. I think im good at motivating and getting people to do what i want them to do or complete. Theres zone leaders that are just super obedient and a good example but their missionaries dont necessarily take their advice and I think thats something Im good at.

I miss my old area a lot... Me and Elder Alvarez got along great and had a ton of success and I had a lot of really close friends in that area and I dont think Im going to find that in this ward its a lot different. But I expect to have the same success and leave the area a lot better than I found it. I was really worried at first because when i arrived their didnt seem to be much happening as far as solid investigators, but we were able to find some good ones this week and help a lot of people get to church.

We had a talk with the mom of two young women that have been coming to church for forever but never had permission to be baptised but they now have permission for this saturday!





No comments:

Post a Comment