Hello my gorgeous boy! How are you today? I hope you are having a good Pday and that you get to do something fun today. How are you? How are you converts/lessons going? How is the Gomez family? Are you still getting sick a lot and did you talk to the mission nurse about it? How is your companion? Any word on changes or is that next week? Anything fun/funny this week? Lots of questions... I know. But I want to know everything.
Have you been giving any thought to your major in school and career path? I think using this time to be prayerful about is a really good thing. What advice I can give you is that supporting a family is not easy. But finding work you feel is interesting and important can be a great blessing in your life. So getting into the right career path and getting the education you need is super important. The most important thing you can do is ask for the Lord's direction. I know he has plans to use you as a great influencer. I know this because of your great gifts you've been blessed with and because of your patriarchal blessing as well. I know you have learned a lot about hard work on your mission and I hope you can continue to apply that to your studies when you get home. Don't be afraid of pushing your limits and stretching and growing through hard work. I have always thought a career in law would be something you'd not only be good at but enjoy also. There are hundreds of opportunities that you would have with a law degree... not just corporate law... but politics, trial law, family law, judge, FBI/CIA etc. Maybe you could even talk to Pres. Crapo about it because I know he is an attorney. Don't rule it out because you think the education part would be hard. The truth is, anything worthwhile will take hard work. You are a very intelligent young man. You are equally if not more naturally intelligent than Grayson. Grayson is getting straight A's right now at BYU. He is doing it because he is smart but he also applies himself and makes schoolwork his priority. He totally feels like he is in about the 50 percentile of smart kids at BYU (doesn't everyone at BYu feel totally not smart at some point) but he works hard and gets great grades. You can do the same. You have that ability, but you have to decide that it is your priority. As I've said before, you can pay now in order to play later... or if you play now, you will have to pay later. I just want you to set yourself up for great opportunities in life. I know you also enjoyed your economics class. That would also be a great program for you. Keep in mind that whatever you decide, most likely you will need a graduate program after you graduate from college. It's just the way the world is now. Another interesting option is Entrepreneurship. There is a program at BYU for this. I know you like the idea of owning your own business. I don't think you have to study entrepreneurship in order to do this. Part of it will come naturally from the things you do in your career. I think a lot of business ideas come from working for a company for a while and seeing where there is a need for something in the market place that you become familiar with. So don't worry if you don't have a grand idea about a big business today. You'd be great at sales. If you wanted to do that you would probably major in a general business program. It's not about being pushy. Successful salespeople build relationships and are persuasive. You do both of those so well!
I've just been thinking about this for you and want you to be putting some thought and prayer into what the Lord wants for your future. I listened to a talk from a byu devotional recently that was so great! He talked about the MACRO plan of salvation that is for all mankind, but also knowing the MICRO plan that is the personal plan the Lord has for you. He knows you so well and has designed a plan for you that will bless your own life and your family. I'll send you the whole talk but here is just one great part...
He talked about Joseph in Egypt (remember the coat of many colors? His brothers hate him because he is favored by their father so the brothers sell him as a slave to the Egyptians and tell their father Jacob that Joseph is dead). Joseph was a good a faithful boy/young man. If you only look at a sliver of his life, you might not understand that God had a plan for him. He is sold by his own brothers into slavery, is thrown into jail for something he didn't do and remains there for years. For 13 years he suffers. But amazingly he remains faithful to God even though he must have felt forgotten while God remained silent and his prayers remained unanswered. However, If you understand what Joseph was able to do because of that part of his life (he went on to interpret the Pharoh's dream about the 7 years of feast and 7 years of famine and was made second in command only to Pharoh... he saved grain so that a nation did not die of starvation including his own family who came to Egypt to buy grain because they were starving) he was a physical savior to his family. The Lord changed his father Jacob's name to Isreal. Josephs family is the beginnings of the nation of Isreal, god's chosen people. When we understand God's micro plan for Joseph we see that God watched over every detail. He may have been silent for sometime, but he never left Joseph's side and never forgot him. God sees us eternally... not just a sliver of our life. He has a plan for you and I know all of the difficulties you've lived through and overcome are part of your preparation for that plan. I know you have learned some wonderful lessons and have a unique depth to your character because of your sorrows and hardships. I believe all of these things will work toward your good and I know Heavenly Father loves you so very much and is so proud of your willingness to follow His plan for you.
Well, tomorrow is election day. Say a big prayer for our country. I voted for Trump but to tell you the truth, I think we will struggle no matter who is elected. Neither is a good option.
We miss you around here. Abby was crying the other day because she misses her brothers so much. I know she doesn't write to you all the time, she is struggling and just functioning is sometimes hard for her. So just know that although she seems quiet sometimes, she misses you terribly. Her new medication is helping and I'm seeing improvement.
It's finally fall ish around here if temps in the 70's count. At least its cooler in the evenings. Grayson is staying in UT for Thanksgiving since we brought him home for Kevin's wedding last month. Actually, he is going to go to Idaho and spend it with Parker and his family because they are going out there. We just registered him for classes next semester. Hopefully he can submit mission papers in January.
I love you so much Sam G! I miss you like crazy but I know you are exactly where you need to be. So it gives me peace even when I miss you so much. I hope you have an amazing week. I love you infinity + infinity and even more than that!
xoxoxoxox
mom
No comments:
Post a Comment