Sunday, November 20, 2016

November 21, 2016 - From Mom

Hello sunshine! 

It is thanksgiving week here in the good old US and so you know what that means?  I got to sleep in this morning!!!!  No seminary this week:)  And all that really means is that I have a week to get ahead on my lessons, so actually I'll be doing seminary all week probably.  As I said though, I really do love it.  Studying the New Testament has been amazing for me.  I feel closer to my Savior and understand who he is a little better.  I understand the complete love he has for us... individually.  I have studied a lot about shepherds and love the symbolism of him being the good shepherd. I read a story about this that I love:

Elder John R. Lasater, formerly of the Seventy (1987–92), told of an incident that occurred while he was traveling in Morocco. A car had injured one of the lambs belonging to a shepherd, and according to local law, the shepherd was entitled to 100 times its value. However, once paid this fee, the shepherd would have to surrender the sheep, have him killed and the meat given to the people in the community.  His interpreter said, “But the old shepherd will not accept the money. They never do because of the love [they have] for each of [the] sheep.” Elder Lasater then observed the old shepherd pick up the injured lamb, place it in a pouch in the front of his robe, stroke its head, and call it by name. The interpreter told him, “All of his sheep have a name, for he is their shepherd, and the good shepherds know each one of their sheep by name.”

That story teaches us so much about how the Savior cares for us and sacrificed for us. I also love how a shepherd is different than a sheep herder.  A sheep herder rounds up the sheep from the rear trying to herd them and uses dogs to keep them in their designated area.  But a shepherd leads his sheep and the sheep willingly follow.  We also watched a modern video where the sheep only responded to their shepherds voice.  Even though others tried to mimic the words that the shepherd used, the sheep did not even look up when others talked.  However, as soon as the shepherd spoke, the sheep stop what they are doing, look up and run to him.  Wouldn't that be great if we had that kind of focus on our Savior!

So tell me all about your week!!!  I want to know about your comp... your new area... your new responsibilities!  What does a zone leader do that is different than a district leader?  How many zones are in your mission? How are you doing with your new responsibilities?  Have you been able to find some people to teach in your new area? Are you still in the city or a more rural area?   I'm SO excited to hear everything!  We have been praying hard for you!  I want so badly to go to the temple but it has been closed for over a month now.  It opens later this week.  I'll be sure to put your name on the prayer roll too.  Dad and I are going to ward temple night on Saturday of this week.

We had a fun week.  Dad and I went to one of his team building things at work and we went to top golf.  First time I've ever played.  AND I was one of the highest scores:)  Yo mamma got skills.  We got a new movie theater at Custer and 121 and it's the kind that has the reclining chairs and they bring food right to you.  Dad of course always gets a big meal:)  The kind that everyone around him can smell... but I guess that is the point of this place.  It's been fun to see a few movies there.  We took Abby with us last night.  She is a good sport to go out with us on a Saturday night.

Parker O. got his mission call this week... any guesses??

He is going to Salvador, Brazil on March 21.  I watched him open his call on skype.  He was so excited he lost his breath and couldn't get all the words out.  I'm really happy for him.  Grayson goes to Idaho this week to have Thanksgiving up there.  The Opfars will all be there and so he'll join them.  We are all getting together at Laurettes house.  It feels like a small group without you or Gray there.  An old missionary that we were close with when we lived in Flo Mo (Elder Reed) will be joining us with his wife and two daughters (wow, time flies).  He just finished dental school and is now in orthodontic school out here so they are joining us.  Not sure if you remember him.

One quick question... what facebook pictures do you want me to print?  Your BYU pics?
Were you able to buy Melatonin?
How is your new apartment?  Do you have windows?
Will this new comp be your comp at Christmas for sure or do you have another change before Christmas?  I'm wanting to send something for Christmas to your comp but if you aren't sure who it will be, I'll just have to make it generic.  If you do know it will be him, is there anything he needs that I could send for Christmas?

Well my love.  I'm so incredibly excited to hear about all the new things going on with you!  I'm praying for your happiness and success every day, many times.  I always have a prayer in my heart for you.  You are always in my thoughts and my heart.  I just love you so very much and am so proud of my amazing son!  Stay safe my son.  Stay strong and obedient.  I love you my sweet boy!  Infinity plus infinity and even more than that!
xoxo
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment